Sunday, December 5, 2010

Phone/Computer APPS + Table-Top = ???

[Zombie Game] Using phone/computer apps for/at Table-Top RPG

Watching "The Walking Dead" my girlfriend mentioned the app we have on our (Android) phones called "Zombie Run".
"Zombies, Run is a trans-reality game for the Android platform that pits you against a world full of zombies in a race for your life. This game requires you to have your GPS enabled and that you're outside before you can play.
After you select zombie type/speed options, the app will take it's time trying to figure out exactly where you are. Once it's done locating you, it will ask you to enter in an endpoint for your journey. Once you do that, the game begins and it's your job to get to your endpoint without running into any of those red dots representing zombies."
My question is... Has anyone used it for your table-top games or anything like this to build a zombie survival experience?
Another idea I had for GMing a zombie game would be to invite the game gang over to my apt. start the game (as if they are coming into my apt for a game) THEN say that I (as an "NPC") go outside to get something and the zombies KILL ME!! The players "see" this from the window and then need to deal. The zombie invasion has begun!!

Now... The players can use anything in my (the recently in-game dead version of me) apartment to help their plan and escape. From using (taking) my computer (for Google Earth or other maps/resources) to anything they could LITERALLY find in my apartment to use to survive.
Out-of-Game, I'd plan the game day to even allow everyone to "search" my apt and possibly even go outside (limited) in my apt. building, my car, and even my building's garage, and cars parked outside. Whatever they can "scrounge" from that limited source. They can record on their character sheets!

Then we return to my apt for the table-top fun of any "planned" encounters I've created for the game session. All based on the players leaving from my apartment and moving about the local area. (an area I know well, of course)


Anyway.
I'm wondering what people think.
Any suggestions, thoughts, questions or advice if you've tried something like this before.

Especially if you can think of any "technology" used for a laptop or (Android) smart-phone that might add options (like the idea above for a "Zombies, Run" app).

Anything?
-kev-


PS... my Zombie RPG of choice is the wonderful "All Flesh Must Be Eaten", but I'm open to hearing other ideas that might work in tandem with any of the above technology ideas.
Edit/Delete Message

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts, suggestions, comments and corrections. Just take it easy on me, this is all for hobby fun. :)